Friday, May 6, 2011

Raindrops and Lost Keys

I haven't posted in a very long time. It isn't because there isn't anything going on, but because I don't know what to share.
Michael has been home for almost 3 years now. We had always heard that when you hit the 1 year mark, you would feel like everything was "normal". Everyone would have settled in together and the family would be meshing into one unit. However, we still haven't hit that point. It has been a huge trial to deal with all of Michael's behavior issues.
However, over the last few months, the Lord has sent a few songs my way that have helped me to focus more on Him. One song is "This is the Stuff" by Francesca Battisteli. She talks about losing her keys, and her phone, and getting a speeding ticket. Then she talks about how this is the stuff that God uses in our lives. "It might not be what I would choose." But we have to trust Him. She also sings about how in the middle of her "little mess" she forgets how big she is blessed. Before marriage, I had been told I may never have children of mine own. But God gave me two biological sons that light up my life. He also gave me a princess for a daughter. I'm still not sure what He is teaching me through Michael, but He has placed him in our lives for a reason.

The other song is by Laura Story. Here are some of the lyrics:
"We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise"
The trials of our journey with Michael definitely make me long for Jesus and heaven. There have many sleepless nights and many hard, very hard, very difficult, terrible days. But there have been a few days where we have seen hope.

This next week, I ask you to join us in prayer. I have a meeting on Monday to get Michael into a school for children with emotional impairments. We have heard excellent reports from this school and it has taken us a lot to get to the point of having an opportunity to get him into this school. It will get him away from the teachers that insist on continuing to feed him milk/cheese and sugar. We have found that when he is not getting the dairy and the processed sugars, he can control most of his behavior. However, his current teachers insist on feeding him graham crackers (which have sugar), milk, cheese, and other foods he shouldn't be eating. Then they lie to us about it, but Michael's behavior shows otherwise and he admits to eating those things while at school. It has been a long hard battle with the school and took calling the district superintendent to finally make some progress. Please pray that the Lord would help me to stay calm, yet firm in the meeting and demand in a respectful way for Michael to get the help and support that he needs to learn how to act appropriately. Pray that the new school will be cooperative with Michael's dietary restrictions and willing to keep open lines of communication with us. Please also pray for Michael's psychiatrist as she works with him and with us to determine medication changes and dosage changes to best help Michael be successful. It would be so nice to have a child that can really truly be a part of the family. Also continue to pray for safety for our family as we deal with Michael and the behaviors that he exhibits. Pray that even though blessings can come through raindrops, that we would see some rays of sunshine in the days and weeks to come. Help us continue trust Christ in every trial and joy that we face. Help Michael and the other children to see Christ through us.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ruth, a couple weeks ago, my parents were here for a visit. They shared with me that they had recently had a visit from your parents. My mom's words were,"Sarah, it is nothing like we thought. It is so much worse. We had no idea how bad things were with Michael." I just want to say how sorry I am. I really didn't have any idea what you were all going through. I have said things to you in ignorance that may have been very hurtful. I want you to know that I love you, and will be praying for you very much.

Love,
Sarah