Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve Service

Well, I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas. I thought I would share a funny store with you all. Last night, we went to our Christmas Eve service at church. Pastor Bob always calls all the kids up to sit on the steps with him and he reads them a story. Aaron was in vocal team so I was sitting in service alone with the three kids. So I told Matthew to go up by Pastor Bob for a story. I was hoping that Alisha would stay with me. But she announced that she wanted to go see Pastor Bob too, so off she went with her brother. When they got to the front, I lost sight of Alisha in the crowd. Just as I spotted her, Pastor Bob pulled out his book. Alisha was sitting right next to him. The book he had chosen was "The Crippled Lamb" by Max Lucado. (That is my favorite Christmas story and little did he know that we had just read that story the night before and that morning.) Alisha spotted the book and quickly flew into action. She announced that the book was about Joshua and his nose. (Joshua is the lamb in the story and it talks about a tear rolling off his nose at one point.) Pastor Bob didn't seem to understand what she was saying and tried to quickly acknowledge her and move on. But as he began the story, Alisha continued as the commentator of the story. She had the entire room laughing. And not only is Alisha loud, but she was right next to Pastor Bob, so his microphone was amplifying everything she said. He commented at one point that it was like choir practice, "everyone has an opinion of how things should be done." Alisha also noticed the advent candles on the platform right behind them. So she asked Pastor Bob about the fire. She wanted to know if she could touch it or if it would hurt her. He told her not to touch it. Then she announces, "Oh, you don't want me to touch it." So he told her that well, there are these people called fire marshalls and she would learn about them someday. Later at one point, Alisha noticed her friend Jared in the audience and stood up and waved to him and said "Hi Jared". But mostly she just added to the story and asked questions. After service, we got lots of comments on our little "star". They asked how much Pastor Bob payed us to have her ready for her "part" in the program. She then sat pretty good through the message. She just didn't understand why she couldn't eat the "food" during communion. I quickly found some gum for her and told her we would talk about it later. Aaron missed part of Alisha's performance, because he was coming around from the choir room to join me in service when it started. When he walked up next to me, he looked at me with this "look" and said "is that ours?". And as proud as could be, I said, "Yes, that's ours." Alisha definitely made that a Christmas Eve service that people will not soon forget. I'll have to see if they recorded it and try to post the audio. She was so involved that it was like she was the only kid he was talking to. She didn't mind the fact that she had several hundred people laughing at her.
Merry Christmas to All! I hope that this story made you laugh. I laughed so hard that I had tears coming down my cheeks. I hope I told it in such a way that you laughed also.

No comments: