Friday, March 7, 2008

Why?

Isn't this the most annoying question when you are asked it repeatedly by a preschool age child? But isn't it the question that we ask so many times. Why can't the Haitian government just sign the stupid paper saying it is okay for Michael to have a passport? Why can't the US just fix the immigration laws so that My Son would be allowed to come home on a US passport? Aren't both of his parents US citizens? So, shouldn't he be one also? Why is it that landing on US soil is the determining factor for making him a US citizen? Why doesn't God say yes when we are asking for something that will benefit all that are involved? Why does it have to hurt so bad? Why do some people take their kids for granted and some even hurt or kill them or some never even give their children the chance to live outside of the womb because they think it is their choice to kill ("abort") them? Why do some people have to get so angry about stupid things? Why is it so hard to ask for help? Etc. etc. etc.

Why is race such an issue? My oldest son is in kindergarten. He come home today with a paper in his bag saying that they started a drug resistance program called "paper people". I didn't get to read much of the paper yet, but I saw that the first lesson was on everyone being special. So as we drove home from my in-laws this evening, I asked Matthew about if he learned something about "paper people" today. He said yes. I continued to pry, and asked what he learned. He said that he learned that people are different. Some people have light skin like him, his brother, and me, and some people have dark skin like his sister. I asked him what he learned about that. He said that people have different light or darker skin so that their mommy's and daddy's can tell which baby is theirs. I said that didn't really work with our family. We then went on to discuss how God is the one that made our skin lighter or darker and that the lightness or darkness of our skin didn't make us any better or worse. Skin doesn't make us good or bad. But I can't get it out of my head that they would tell the kids that the skin tone is so the parents can tell which kid is theirs. I saw my daughter when she was three days old. Her skin tone at that point would have matched her to a set of Hispanic parents. Now her skin tone would obviously match her to parents of African descent. But what about kids from interracial relationships. My cousin is white and her husband is black. Their boys skin tone is between theirs. Maybe I am way off, but even my white sons have different skin tones than me. What in the world does skin tone have to do with a parent being able to tell which kid is supposed to be theirs. I guess I will have to finish reading the paper that was sent home and follow up with the teacher if necessary. I wish I would have known about this lesson ahead of time.
Well, I guess I have ranted about that enough. Maybe I made sense and maybe not, but I feel better getting it off my chest.
Praise God for His wonderful love. God created each one of us to be unique and special in our own ways. My family is very special. Matthew is very smart and loves making new friends. Alisha is very energetic and learns songs very easily. Kevin is full of smiles and is very easy going. Michael has beautiful eyes and seems to be very easy going as well (of course, I'll be able to tell you more about him when he finally comes home). Praise God for giving us the opportunity to raise four very wonderful children.

No comments: